Monday, April 1, 2013

flying sparks

Brian worked on the Diamond T this weekend - I am still recovering from pneumonia, so I mostly watched/supervised.  I'm good at supervising :)

I do love a good 'flying sparks' pic!

 He made a section of the firewall bump in for engine clearance.  It only needed to come in just an inch or two.

Welding it in place:


smoothing out the welds:


And the cowl/firewall section in place.  It looks GREAT!  He didn't just make it a box - he made the edges angle inward.  It looks like it was meant to be that way!  He also made sure that he left enough around the bell-housing to get to those bolts in the future if it ever needs clutch/trans work......
The firewall looks great, even though my pics don't look so great (sorry, cell phone pics!)
The tricky piece now will be that cone-shaped piece to go over the bell housing.  That is going to be interesting to shape!
Glad to get rid of the old firewall with all those holes in it!






We gathered some pieces to take to the sand-blasters soon - including this piece that is the ''glove box'' (goes on the ceiling where visors go on modern cars).  This piece and the dash cover are my favorite parts of the interior of the truck!  I think that (if at all possible) we will be covering this in deer leather, mmmmmmm.  And maybe flock the inside of the glove box......

We just need to figure out HOW to get the roof section to the sandblasters w/o getting damaged.  It will have to go on a trailer since it's wider than 4' in both directions and won't fit in the back of the Suburban even...... and even my little garbage trailer is only 4' wide.........

I really hope I'm feeling well enough to help more next weekend, I just LOVE to see progress on this project!



No comments:

Post a Comment